Sri Lanka formerly known as Ceylon, is in Southern Asia. It is an island country in the Indian Ocean, south of India. Sri Lanka has more than 3,500 years of continuous written history by means of the Mahawansha, and was also mentioned in several ancient Indian texts. One of the most famous is the Ramayana, in which the island, which was referred to as Lanka, was the island fortress of the king Ravana, who captured the wife of Rama an incarnation of the Hindu God, Vishnu.
Legend has it that Hanuman the monkey god flew over to Lanka and destroyed the capital by setting it on fire, while Rama and his remaining troops later crossed over from the mainland by building a land bridge across the sea.
- Central Province (Kandy, Matale, Nuwara Eliya) This is the highlands of the country with a lot of beautiful tea plantations, waterfalls, valleys and streams. Highest mountain piduruthalagala and the famous worlds end are situated in Nuwaraeliya.
- Northern Province (Jaffna) After end of the 30 year civil war this region is slowly returning to its status as an important tourist attraction. Some areas remain unsafe and have yet to be cleared from mines.
- North Central Province (Anuradhapura, Polonnaruwa, Sigiriya, Dambulla) The ancient kingdoms of Sri Lanka dating back over 2500 years. Rich in history, the area is known as the cultural triangle.
- Eastern Province (Trincomalee, Arugam Bay)
- North Western Province (Kurunegala)
- Sabaragamuwa (Ratnapura)
- Southern Province (Galle, Weligama, Matara, Tangalle, Unawatuna, Yala National Park) the historic city of Galle and national parks
- Uva (Badulla, Haputale, Bandarawela) cool highland hill retreats
- Western Province (Sri Jayewardenepura Kotte, Beruwela, Colombo, Gampaha, Negombo) the administrative capital and the largest city plus some popular beach resorts
Attractions in Srilanka
- Surfing from November to April you can surf in the western and southern coast. Best place for the beginners is Weligama on the southern coast. You can rent a board for 1500 Rupee per day or 400 Rupee per hour. Lesson costs 2500 Rupee for 1 h, but bargain.
- Kitesurfing from April to September and from December to March you can kitesurf eastern coast. Best place for the beginners is Kalpitiya (Sethawadi and Kappaladi lagoons), where you can find kite schools: Wind4Love KiteSurfing center Sri Lanka and best conditions in Asia.
- Bentota is famous for its sea turtles farm and hatchery.
Destinations in Srilanka
- Yala National Park – wildlife Safari
- Beruwela – beach resort not too far from Colombo
- Haputale – small hill town in the cool highlands
- Horton’s Plains and World’s End
- Robolgoda- beach resort on the south coast
- Sinharaja Rainforest – A world Heritage
- Unawatuna – beach resort on the south coast very close to Galle
- Mirissa – small beach village on the south coast close to Matara with two good surfing spots
- Trincomalee – beautiful beaches in the north east
- Batticaloa – called land of singing fish. beautiful sallow beaches, paddy fields, historical places.
- Kitulgala – for pristine nature & adventure seekers – white water rafting – 4 hours from Colombo
- Arugam Bay – Southeast coast beach town with several top surfing spots ella
- Sigiriya – the right spot to climb the beautiful sirigya rock.